Quilt Dragon Kits

Welcome to my blog.

Here I'll share with you new designs for kits,

techniques, commissions and other pieces I'm working on - some will become kits and others are just for fun!

Coronation Inspiration - Saga of designing a new kit.

Posted on



This is my coronation inspiration kit - and yes getting to this point has been quite a saga - let me explain.


The idea for this kit came about in the autumn of 2021 - I knew I wanted to design a kit around the goldwork embroidery on the Imperial Coronation Robe (the purple one!) worn by Queen Elizabeth II - the reasons being as follows:

- I am lucky enough to teach at Sunnycroft National Trust property in Wellington in Shropshire, 

- Sunnycrofts last owner Joan Lander trained with the Royal School of Needlework, 

- Whilst at the Royal School of Needlework Joan Lander worked on the coronation robe.

With the platinum jubilee coming up, it seemed like a good idea - to design something that I could teach at Sunnycroft.

It didn't work out quite like that though....

I worked the design out - and began stitching it in November '21 - taking photographs of each stage as I went along.

By the end of the year I'd finished the piece - just needed to write the instructions and it would be complete - ready to teach.

By the spring, the instuctions were all completed - I'd checked them over - all seemed in order - then I printed it off - this is where it went wrong.

I didn't like how the images were coming out - no matter how I tweaked the image, or retook the photos, the result was the same - the printed image just didn't look right - it looked grey and uninspiring. So I did the only thing I could do at the time - I put it to one side and left it - a problem to return to.

I think the problem was that I had used ivory dupion silk as the base for the embroidery, and whilst in real life it looked good - it didn't photograph well - it just looked grey and dull.

I did take the finished piece with me to one of my workshops at Sunnycroft - just to get some feedback from the ladies who were attending my classes, they liked the design - and between us we decided that the design was worth saving, but would need redoing on a different background - which as you can see is what I have done.

I also took the opportunity to slightly alter the leaf on the right hand side as I had felt that this one needed to be longer to balance the embroidery better. 

I'm really happy with how this design has turned out - it remains to be seen whether anyone else likes it enough to buy it!

I'll finish this post with a picture of the original - hopefully you can see why it caused me some problems.


Add a comment:

Leave a comment:
  • This site is protected by reCAPTCHA and the Google Privacy Policy and Terms of Service apply.


  1. Riddhika Chakravartty

    Hi Amanda, it is a beautiful design and very much worth persevering with. The purple is a good choice!

    Posted on

  2. Judith Ramsay

    The design has a very regal look to it. An enormous amount of thinking and organisation, not to mention time, must have gone into the original so to have to change near the finish of production would have been quite deflating. Well done for picking yourself up. Hope it goes well now.

    Posted on

Add a comment